The Turning of Forty


I turned the big 4-0 today. For some reason, it's been a hard birthday to swallow. Thirty came and went with no problem. This one...not so easily. I look back on the last decade and wonder what in the world I've been doing. Then I remember...having babies, nursing babies, wiping hinies, doing laundry and teaching kids how to read and write.

A lot of my friends turn 40 this year. One is beginning her 40s with a newborn baby. Another is beginning her new decade by getting remarried. One has found herself single again, reeling from betrayal. Then, there's my friend beginning her 40s without her mom or her mom in law....but looking forward to the newest adopted member of their family, from China. All are beginning new seasons in their lives.

I've been talking with Father about this whole thing. He reminded me how He was with me during the last 10 years and isn't about to leave me now. He loves me so much and I can put my entire trust in Him bc He, alone, is forever faithful. He proved it over and over and over again the last decade. He was there during my pregnancies, deliveries, and miscarriages. He was there when our son had his terrible seizures. He was there when I walked through the fire with my friend. He was even there when my toddler son started walking toward the busy street...and the cat, of all things, tipped me off! He was there when I felt Him and when I didn't feel Him. He was actively there when I needed Him...and when I didn't think I needed Him. He was there, closer than my breath, holding, loving, protecting, guiding me during the happiest times, the saddest times, the hardest times, the depressed times. He was there during our times of laughter, times of discouragement, times of anger and times of pain. There was not one second when His hand was not upon this family and my life over the last 10 years.


So, with all confidence not in myself but in Abba Father, I will walk boldly through the door of a new season of life.

I will not lie to myself and pretend my 40s will be a piece of cake (iced chocolate pound cake is preferrable). For Pete's sake, I will have TEENAGERS in the house. I know there will be many reasons to trust Him. But I make up my mind NOW that no matter what happens, He is always good, always faithful, and always trustworthy.




So bring on the steaks (that have been marinating all afternoon) and the iced chocolate pound cake! We some celebrating to do!

Comments

Anne-Marie said…
Happy Birthday!! What an admirable outlook on life and turning 40 (which is really the new 20 *wink*). Enjoy your birthday steaks and iced chocolate pound cake (Mmmm)!
Anonymous said…
Happy birthday again mama! Don't worry, you're probably not even half done with you're life! Heehee!
Anonymous said…
Hope you had a blessed birthday!!

Alyce
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday again my friend!!! I think that your blog post sums up our deep desire for the Gospel. To step boldly into the new season because of Him who is able, always faithful and always trustworthy!!!!!
I love you so much!!!
C

Popular posts from this blog

My First Assignment!

Rayray's Recap of American Idol

What You Missed....