My First Assignment!

Oh, What a Feeling!!!

That's the title of my first BFS Assignment. I'm to share a little about what led us to homeschool in the first place....and our ups and downs.

The title is kind of funny to me...mainly because THIS homeschool mom runs the gamut of "feelings" about our home educating adventure. One day I feel great and encouraged...the next day I might feel like I've completely lost my mind to think I can teach my own children a livelong thing. One day I feel like I knowthatIknowthatIknow Father has called us to homeschool and the next day, I feel like I'm completely ruining the poor little dears! Please tell me I'm not alone!

My two older brothers and their wives introduced the idea of homeschooling to me, who went to a private school all 12 years. There were friends here in our small town, as well, who were homeschooling when hardly no one else in a 60 mile radius was. I talked to my sister in laws at length about their reasons for homeschooling and before we ever had children, it was on our hearts to homeschool. I taught in a public school for 5 years and quit once we had our first baby. That was almost 13 years ago.

Our oldest daughter was the guinea pig, bless her little soul. I fell in love with The Well Trained Mind and attempted to follow it to a "T." She succeeded, did great, learned a lot, progressed nicely. I was so proud of her....and me, too, bc I was the one teaching, right?

Then her little brother came along. I tried to teach him to read at age 4, bc that's when his older sister was reading....and all "those books" say a preschooler can learn to read. It didn't work. I tried again at 5. Still, nothing. 6? Nope, not ready but he did know his letter sounds. 7, I started getting a tad concerned but passed it off as "boys mature slower." By 8 when he was still struggling terribly with reading, I realized we had something more going on. He'd had years of phonicsphonicsphonics and we were progressing at a snail's pace. He has many strengths...and they are becoming more and more evident with each passing day. He just learns differently than his sisters

Father and I had some long talks about the Butter. I felt ultimately responsible for the fact that he wasn't progressing. Somehow, it seemed like it was my fault, that this would reflect on me...I was the one teaching, right?

Father continually and gently reminded me that my children are all fearfully and wonderfully made. This sweet soul of a son that he gifted us with has a heart bigger than Lake Seminole. God made him exactly like he is for a very good purpose....and he is perfectly wonderful to this mama.

Our little Doodlebug just started Kindergarten this year. She's your cut it out and glue it and color it and add glitter all over it kind of gal. Letters and numbers are easy for her. She'll sail right through her work...and she might even catch up with her brother in the reading arena one day, and that will be ok.

When we started homeschooling so many years ago, besides feeling called by Father, we started for one main reason. I had been in the public school setting as a teacher and didn't want my babies there.

But as the years have passed, our list of "why we homeschool" has grown and our first reason is actually down the list. We've had some happy by-products that we didn't expect...and those reasons are now on the list.

Over the years, the Father has weeded a lot of junk out of me...and how we homeschool is one of the areas He's worked on with me. Much learning takes place here....but its not always from a textbook.

Oh! What a million feelings I have about our homeschooling journey. But when those feelings don't line up with what I know is His Truth, I know my flesh is getting the best of me. And I remind myself of His calling, His will, His Truths for our family.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6


(Click here for a few pics of our first weeks of school....)

Comments

Shanna said…
Isn't funny how different our kids can be. I started Kindergarten with our 3rd child this year and it took me one week to figure out that he was not going to learn to read the same way as the older two! I did a lot of research, picked a curriculum that looked more his speed and we're waiting for it to arrive now. We'll see...
Anonymous said…
I know how you feel when you have your oldest daughter read quickly and won't put a book down and then comes along your son, who after all the years of teaching him phonics and rules after rules, he just still doesn't get it. He is now 9 and is finally getting it.. Thanks for sharing your story and thanks for visiting my blog. many blessings in your homeschooling journey <><
Gina Marie said…
Hi! I found your blog from someone else's, and I can't remember how I found hers! Probably searching for other homeschool moms. We homeschool here in Singapore, where it's quite uncommon, so I'm always hungry to connect with other moms who do.

I have to say that I love your template. Did you make it yourself? I'd steal it if I knew how. :)
Gina Marie said…
Just realized that I commented under a different email address. This one will give you a link to my blogs (I'm a writer by nature - one blog isn't enough!)
Sheri said…
You are not alone! In my post I called it "riding a sickening carnival ride that I couldn't get off" and that is how it is. But I also know it is the best thing I have ever done and do not regret taking the plunge (alone and well, not supported by anyone for a long, long time-outside of hubby) to homeschool. I love your blog-and what you had to say. Looking forward to coming back and reading more.
Krista Meyer said…
Absolutely, Your Not Alone!!!
As for the reading... Kids certainly do go at their own speed. My dd8, we tried at several points, but it's only now that it is making sense to her. She's now progressing nicely.
I enjoyed very much reading your entry & will look forward to future entries. Many blessings.
www.homeschoolblogger.com/ourhomeschool
Anonymous said…
You have written beautifully! Great first assignment!
The Journey said…
Beautiful post!

I love how you share your heart and are trusting God. Homeschooling is less of the real issue but the main thing is following God's heart for you and your family. Keep on! The award is worth the struggle!

You're my inspiration even though you think I don't read your blog!
Gina Marie said…
Thanks for visiting my blog! Most people read my regular one, but not my homeschool blog (maybe only my mom does - I have no idea!) And thanks too for the tip about your layout. I'm going to go check it out right now. :)
Great thoughts about your homeschool journey. You are always a great source of encouragement to me when I question the call God has on my life. I appreciate you so very much. A very good first assignment.
How is the construction progress?
Love ya lots,
Me
familyof8 said…
Hey,
The last comment is from me. Sorry about the confusion.
C

Popular posts from this blog

Rayray's Recap of American Idol

What You Missed....