St. Patrick's Breastplate Prayer

Around 1500 years ago, a young British teen was kidnapped by Irish Raiders and forced into slavery in Ireland. Six years later, he escaped and returned to his home in Britain. This young man became a Christian and took the Christian name of Patrick. Through a vision/dream (as it's told), the Lord put it on his heart to return to Ireland as a missionary. He did just that....sharing the love of Christ and building schools and church buildings. Did you catch that? Just in case you missed the point....Patrick RETURNED TO IRELAND...the place where he was enslaved for 6 years. Could I do that? You? By the 8th century, he was a patron saint of Ireland. March 17 is believed to be the date he died. Irish Catholics began celebrating this day in the 17th century. Irish-Americans introduced the celebration of St. Patrick's Day on American soil during Colonial times.


Most believe it to be legend that St. Patrick drove snakes out of Ireland. Some believe it was symbolic of him driving paganism out of the country. I personally don't believe the Lord would send Patrick back to Ireland just to rid the country of unwanted reptiles. He had a greater plan for Patrick in Ireland! There is also legend that St. Patrick used shamrocks to explain the Trinity - The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. While this is not fact, it is definitely a feasible possibility, don't you think?


There is a prayer long believed to be authored and prayed by St. Patrick. It is known as St. Patrick's Breastplate Prayer, The Deer's Cry, or The Lorica. Whatever you choose to call it, the prayer is beautiful and relevant in our lives some 1500 years later! Here is just a portion of the prayer. Read it in its entirety here.

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Swiftness of wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of earth,
Firmness of rock.
I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's hand to guard me.
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude.
Christ shield me today
Against wounding:
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in me.
I arise today
Through the mighty strength Of the Lord of Creation.



P. S. I'm not sure where the Wear Green or Get Pinched tradition fits in, but yes, I will have on a green shirt bc my kids take this pinching thing SERIOUSLY! ~Blessings!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Assignment!

Rayray's Recap of American Idol

What You Missed....