Our Weekend in the Mountains...and the Yellow Jacket



We celebrated my Hero's bd and the changing of the leaves last weekend in Hiawassee. We love it up there. Quite frankly, I'd love to live there. I have always thought that living on Lake Chatuge with a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance would be heaven on earth. But, Lake Chatuge is a sad little lake right now bc of the severe drought. Docks and boats are sitting on dry land, connecting waterways dried up. Sad, indeed.

Anyway, we had a blast. The leaves were gorgeous...not peak yet but close. My almost 13 yo nephew Jojo spent most of the weekend with us. We did Fun World on Hero's bday...The kids had a blast riding go carts, climbing the rock wall, and playing all the games. I think Appledoodle slid down the huge blow up slide 867 times.

Later, we went to the GA Mountain Fair. We went later so we could be there for the GA Fiddler's Competition. So....we were eating a snack of a turkey leg and funnel cakes and a yellow jacket decided to join the picnic. My man, being the superhero that he is, decided to shoo the bee away...but his idea of "shooing" is to knock the offending pest clear to China. He rared back, hit the yellowjacket and the thing hit me on the forehead......butt first at 90 mph!! Since two of our kids are very frightened of all things bee-ish, I had to be very brave. I actually wanted to jump up and down and holler and wail, scream and cry. But I sat calmly, the epitomy of a strong, stoic woman. "It hit me. On the head." The Hero felt awful...and ran to the car for a bee sting pad. It's funny now...but it wasn't very funny at the time! Have I mentioned that my (homeschooled all the way through high school) nephew is a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket? He's the only yellow jacket I like.

We made it to the fiddle competition...but the fiddlers played after the guitar pickers and mandolin players and banjo pickers and blue grass bands. So, the two littles and their daddy had HAD it by the time the fiddlers competed. Rayray and I loved it, though. And Jojo.

It was a great weekend....I think the Daddy enjoyed his birthday. The weather was gorgeous. We head up to the mountains this time every year and stay in our parent's place in Hiawassee. Hero said it signifies the beginning of the upcoming holiday season to him. It does to me too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Assignment!

Rayray's Recap of American Idol

What You Missed....