What Is That Smell??

The Boy, age 10, came to me as I was finishing up dinner tonight and asked with sincerity, "Mama, can you get me some of that stuff I can spray on my skin to make me smell like a MAN?"

This morning, I started school by asking the littles, "What is that smell!?" I had them each close their eyes and sniff whatever it was I waved under their noses.

I had honeysuckle blossoms from the yard, apple pie spice from the kitchen, the BBW lotion I use every night, the body spray their teen sister uses, and the menthol chest rub (that stunk up the entire juvenile end of the house last night bc of all their COUGHING!).

Anyway, all were very familiar scents to them. Then we read and talked about these verses...

2 Corinthians 2:14, 15, 17 says:
In Christ, God leads us from place to place
in one perpetual victory parade.
Through us, He spreads the fragrance
of the knowledge of Him everywhere.
For we are the aroma of Christ to God
among those being saved and
 among those perishing..


Christ abides in us, in those that believe. He is in us and as we live our daily lives, He is spreading His fragrance....the knowledge of Himself....to those around us. The Message calls it an "exquisite fragrance." 

Yes, we all have those days where the fragrance we're exuding isn't exactly exquisite. We might be grumpy, tired, busy, stressed, overwhelmed, aggravated, hormonal ...These are the moments when we really hope we don't bump into anyone at Winn-Dixie that needs an encouraging word...bc our victory parade has turned into a frantic stomp and our fragrant mister is slap empty! It's ok. I've soooo been there. Just another opportunity to surrender...

Ephesians 5:1-2 says: 
Therefore, be imitators of God,
as beloved children.
And walk in love,
As Christ loved us and 
gave himself up for us,
a fragrant offering
and sacrifice to God.


As Believers, we've all been given special gifts, talents, strengths unique to only you, only me. We are to use these God-given strengths, bathed in Love,  as a fragrant offering to Him and as His aroma to those around us. 

Just like The Boy wants to imitate his HeroDaddy and spray on the fragrance of a man, we are to be like children imitating our Father.

But this fragrant aroma can't be sprayed on or applied by human hands. It comes from the Love of Christ within us, oozing out of our very pores, as we allow Him to abide in us, take up residence in us giving us New Life...allowing our stinkin' flesh to fall away and disappear. 

The question just begs to be asked.

What is that smell...that fragrant aroma?

Comments

Rayray said…
:)
my did they recognize my scent? you never told me.
Pajama Mama said…
You were their second guess after Mema...
Hannah Hoffmann said…
A good reminder. I wasn't smelling so good today...
The Journey said…
I'm with Hannah! I need a bath!

Great post! Need that to sink into my heart today!
Sheri said…
excellent post. Gonna share and save it too (for future reference) :0)!
Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

My First Assignment!

Rayray's Recap of American Idol

What You Missed....